Saturday, January 22, 2011

Wednesday 19/1/11

Today was so tiring! After our English breakfast and group meeting, we went off to the Victoria and Albert museum (a.k.a the V&A) It was a huge place!  The layout did not seem very organized but despite that, this was one of my favorite museums (second to the Tate Modern)
  Emily presented her presentation of a guy that makes hand blown chandeliers! They are gorgeous! Here is an example of the one we saw! Each one of the spirals is a separate piece of glass that is transported and then put together at the site where it will stay (in this case, the V&A). This was a beautiful piece but I think they should take care of it a little better.  There is a thick layer of dust on the top of it which a viewer can see from the balcony (where this picture was taken)   

 
 After the V&A, Lisa, Danielle and I went to see the Science museum.  It was actually pretty exciting for me considering science is not my cup of tea.  There was a lot of interactive, hands-on kind of activities and games.  They were really fun...the picture below shows a camera that froze the picture when it passed over your face and Danielle and I made weird faces and got pictures of it. As you can see. 

 After the Science museum, we stopped in to the Natural History museum and looked around a little bit. This museum was huge! We didn't spend too much time there because we took a long time in the Science museum but we looked around anyways. After the museum we went to another little outdoor mall (not like the malls we have back home though.)  They  had a lot of stores like H&M and Gap that had a lot of sales! So after our shopping trip, we went back to our hotel for our group meeting in which we talked about how we enjoyed the day and what our favorite things of it were and such.  Mine was the fun interactive games and activities at the Science Museum and of course seeing the awesome work that Rodin did- especially the Age of Bronze sculpture! It's really cool to see it in person compared to the screen in the classroom.  After we talked about our day, the whole class went to the Friend at Hand Pub for a group dinner.  It was small but very popular and a great place to go to hang with the locals.  We all had soup as a starter, a juicy hamburger with chips as a main course and a really good dessert. (whose name escapes me at the moment) After the delicious dinner, I took Lisa and Danielle to the Marquis Cornwallis to show them the strawberry beer.  (Amanda and I went there the first day we were here and tried the strawberry beer. After, we told everyone about it and from then on, the Marquis Cornwallis has been the favorite pub to go to at night...with the famous strawberry beer as the most popular drink among the people.)  After the fun time with Lisa and Danielle, we all came back to the hotel and I started to pack for the day after tomorrow when we leave early for Paris! Tomorrow is our free day though.  I'm going to meet up with my good friend from high school- Gaylen- who I haven't seen since June of last year! I'm so excited! But until then, im outta here! Cheerio!

Question of the Day:  Which room was your favorite in the Victoria and Albert? 
My favorite room in this museum was of course, the sculpture room with all Rodin's artwork in it.  I just love how he makes his people look so real! It amazes me how someone could sculpt something so delicate, such as a person, out of something so rugged, such as marble! I loved seeing The Age of Bronze and The Muse and Cupid and Psyche.




No comments:

Post a Comment