Sunday, January 16, 2011

Sunday 16/1/11

These days are going by so fast! First we had our normal breakfast and then our normal meeting.  Then we traveled to the Tate Modern museum.  To get there though, we had to cross the Millennium Bridge! It was very cool.  I have seen pictures and movies with the bridge in them but It looked shorter in person!
 
Anyways, after we crossed the bridge, we got to Tate Modern.  I liked this museum so much more than the Tate Britain.  It had more in it and had a lot of works of art and artists that we learned about in Art History class.  It was fun to remember the facts that I was taught in class and relate them to real artwork by an artist. In the Tate Modern, there was an exhibit entitled, Sunflower Seeds by Ai Weiwei.  He had people make 100 million sunflowers out of porcelain and hand painted them!! There are so many of them!

 Here are the sunflower seeds close up...and the next picture is of the room they are in. A huge room!
After this exhibition, we all went our ways and explored until the fire alarm went off.  We still don't know why though.  So everyone had to go outside until the building was cleared and safe.  Once we were able to go back, we had lunch and then we got to go off on our own to see things that were in this area. Some people stayed (including me) around the museum to explore the rest that we missed before the fire alarm went off.  I found Rodin's sculpture 'The Kiss' which I am going to present on in Paris! (another copy of the same piece) I was so happy when I saw this. I love the emotion in this piece and how it captures a moment in time.  But ill go further into the description of it when we are in Paris and I present it! 

After we finished with the museum, we went to Shakespeare's Globe Theater.


 Obviously, its not the real one, but it was all hand made with the ideas of how the real Globe Theater looked back then. We took a tour of it and when it was over, we talked about what we wanted to do after.  We agreed on going to the Tower Bridge in London so we started to walk there.  We made it about half way when we checked the time and had to find the nearest tube to get back to our hotel for our group meeting.  When we got back, we were a little late because the tube was delayed. At our meeting we talked about what has surprised us since we have been here and what we found 'brilliant' thus far. Everyone seems to be having a very good time including myself! My camera is coming in very useful! I have taken over 2000 pictures and its only day 4! (not including the first day we had to get settled in) And there will be many more pictures for sure! Tomorrow I get to present on St. Paul's Cathedral! I have seen it twice so far and am still excited to go inside and talk about it! But until then, im outta here!

Cheerio!

Question of the Day: What was your favorite thing at Tate Modern?
My favorite thing I saw at this museum was The Kiss by Rodin.  I love Rodin's sculptures and how he makes the people in them look so delicate and real.  Even though I am presenting this piece in Paris, I got to see a sneak peek of it and I'm very glad I did! It is an amazing sensual beautifully made sculpture. 

No comments:

Post a Comment